Thursday, May 1, 2008

Poems, anthems, odes

I
It'll be night time when the apocalypse hits.
The TV will be cranking away and its flickering light will be
what we see the end of the world by.

II
The stone possesses symmetrical indifference,
Equally unstirred by direction as by sound, impact or ice.
To be stone is to practice indifference toward all forces,
thereby a force become.

III
The virus, in a race to destroy its host,
A race to kill its home
will die deadly.
The common cold lives on,
A nuisance eternal.

IV
Evolution was no eternal tree,
Slow-growing, expandable, seed-started, fat,
But a bolt of branched lightning!
Life struck in an unprecedented Virginia tempest.
Cracked contra crust then vanished eternal.
Life left a calm moist smell haunting the surface
of sun-soaked rocks, which rolled backwards,
away from the light.

V
Worship and Fear. My touch burns unrivaled.
Wherever I ride it is midsummer's noon.
My Chariot the throne and the center, of day's kingdom
its border a circle, half dawn and half moon.
I am Apollo.
The seasons: my wake, my wingtips, my robe.
Fringe frosted, dragging, wrapping the poles.

By my diligence alone is life itself lifted out of fantasy.

When I drop my reins, on the ultimate day,
sunset on all things.
What is earthly eternal finds limits, crumbles when I rest.
I will snore smiling as your tears freeze,
weeping for sun.
All that is eternal ends with Apollo.

1 comment:

rebecca said...

Here's a poem comment for you:

A stone is not untouched by weather or other forces and flows of nature. Though it may seem strong and indifferent, it is actually part of them and cracks and erodes with them. Nothing can stand alone and be unaffected by nature because everything is part of the same flow and trying to stand alone is futile and narcissistic.